Battery Energy Storage Market: Commercial Scale, Lithium-ion Projects in the U.S.
October 27, 2016
| National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
This slide deck presents the results of data collection on the commercial-scale li-ion battery energy storage market (current as of Autumn 2016).
- Map of existing U.S. project locations
- Li-ion energy storage project cost data (on a kW and kWh basis), based on developer quotes
- Project cost breakout and list of elements typically included in project cost estimates
- Common use-cases and value streams for battery energy storage projects
- Map of electric utility demand charges (which impact battery energy storage economics)
- How the Federal Investment Tax Credit (ITC) and Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) apply to energy storage projects
- Summary of NREL’s FY16-17 solar + storage optimization modeling project
The information presented in these slides was collected to inform the inputs and assumptions for NREL’s solar + storage optimization modeling in FY17. The number of project quotes made available was limited and the energy storage market is rapidly changing. Therefore, this information should be seen only as a compliment to market data from other sources.